Friday, April 07, 2006

Yesterday...

Yesterday...I was with one of my patients and this is one patient I really did not like...she was grumpy and she always had something to complain about...

I always would leave her sitting in my cubicle and would let someone take over...Because she is the one who would always want a follow up treatment and when I fix an appointment for her...she would come back saying she never felt any better...

But yesterday...I dont know how but I was casually asking her a question...hoping she would give me an answer me and that I could discharge her...but then..she said...she was feeling unwell...ever since her husband died...And as she said that...she had tears streaming down the sides of her face...

I paused...I did not know what to say...for the first time...I sat beside her...I was silent...My feelings of hate turned to sadness and pity for her...I wanted to put my arm around her shoulder...

But I did not want to interrupt her in anyway...I knew then..that she was holding her emotions to herself for so long...

She said...I was a happy lady since the day I said "I do".

She said...her husband treated her like an angel...She said..he never let her feel the pain...He never let her work...cos he thought she should not be put through the rigors of life...

She said...He was so special to her..because he loved her with all his heart...

And she then said...she was the happiest woman...for the 52 years of married life...till he breathed his last...

I know no amount of consoling would ever bring back her period of bliss...she experienced when her husband was still on this earth...I left the cubicle with a feeling of regret for having ignored her all this while...

I came back...after collecting myself...I was thinking so much of Sharmi then...I wanted to tell Sharmi that I would take care of her...as long as I would be alive...But when I see her again...I would tell her that...And I would hold her hand...never to let her go...

I came back into my cubicle..and I smiled at her...I put my hand around her shoulder and I said I would be glad to see her again...she smiled...for the first time...

For the first time...I was happy I stood beside her...I am now looking forward to seeing her...Just to say...she is never alone....

I see so many people like this...The way the husbands love their wives...even when the wives go through the times of crisis...I wish I could see Sharmi now and tell her she would not go through any crisis all on her own...She would be held on strongly by me...No matter what happens...She is the one I Love...She will never be alone...

3 Comments:

Blogger che sara sara said...

i just remembered the movie "message in a bottle"
so are u a doctor??

6:11 AM  
Blogger Ben said...

message in a bottle...? and hey call me ben...that is fine...

3:50 PM  
Blogger che sara sara said...

havent u seen the movie "message in a bottle"...watch it when time permits Ben

8:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home