Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Am I Telling A Lie?

There is this sweet patient of mine...A very sweet lady...with a smile in her face and a kind word in her mouth and a very welcoming heart.

One day she called up to cancel her appointment and as she was talking she broke down...I aksed her what was wrong...

She said she had a lump in her breast and she was called in for a biopsy...I was taken aback...I said to myself...Oh No...Not for her...Please God No...

She is a very nice lady...but she has no kids...She has a very beautiful house...the pictures of which she brought in one day to show me...Though we are supposed to maintain our professional ethics when we interact with patients...I am not one of those tight lipped guys...I would sit with the patients and talk with them...about anything under the sun..after all...we are here to help...and we are not doing any business with anyone...

And though I am here to treat her...She considers me as her son...because she is more than twice my age and she would always call me with such sweet names...

But now the news is making me break into cold sweats...

And then I saw her the next day...she walked in to say hi after her biopsy...
I put my arms around her shoulder and I said everything will be fine...But deep down inside I knew I was lying...what if her biopsy results showed that everything was not alright...

Did I lie to her...?I am so stuck with this thought...
Do I have to say this? Did my words ever make a meaning in her life...at her state..?
How would I feel if I had to go for a biopsy and someone said it will be alright...?

Did I Lie To Her?

8 Comments:

Blogger che sara sara said...

that hit me hard...
its so painfull to see somone sick

1:42 PM  
Blogger Ben said...

it sure is hard and well what can i say...and well i really miss my sharmi...yes....this is for the comment you left on my previous blog...

2:51 PM  
Blogger Sujay Sukumar said...

Ben,

Hinduism speaks of two godesses called 'Ashwini Devate'. They are twins with opposite qualities. While one wishes well being of all creatures the other abhors them.

These goddesses are always encircling the earth, and they keep chanting "Astu" (meaning: Amen). If you say a good thing, or voice out a positive thought, and the good godess happens to be above your head at that point of time, then the good that u speak or wish for is beleived to happen.

You didnt lie to her. You just gave goodness a chance!!!

You are a nice guy...really!

3:25 PM  
Blogger Ben said...

hey sujay...thanks so much mate....and well dunno what to say mate..and hey do stay in touch
cheers

12:26 PM  
Blogger Sujay Sukumar said...

i'll keep in touch!!

4:25 PM  
Blogger Ben said...

sure mate way to go and cool

5:53 PM  
Blogger Mr. J said...

Rule # 1: Never get emotional in anything you do. Work, especially.

12:18 PM  
Blogger Ben said...

i know it is hard not to show any emotions...but the fact is...sometimes...emotions show...even if you want to hide it all away...

7:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home